Saturday, April 10, 2010


I'm very bad at following through on anything, I realize. I was supposed to have written a bunch of posts within the space of two weeks and here I am with only one to my credit. Since I'm sitting around the house waiting for my wisdom teeth holes to heal, I'll write about a book I didn't particularly like (re: hated): 'Life Of Pi'. Warning: what follows is a bitter, pathetic rant written by a very sad man. Reader discretion is advised.
Life Of Pi
This is the tale of a young Indian boy by the name of Pi whose family works at a zoo. His family isn't at all religious, but he's a very inquisitive boy full of curiosity and wonder which leads him to becoming a member of, not one, but three major religions (Hindu, Christianity, Islam). Due to political and economic issues (this is India in the 70's, so I'm assuming things were not peachy-creme wonderful) his dad decides to sell the animals and move the whole family to Canada. They and all the animals get on a boat and begin the long journey across the Pacific Ocean. But for some unknown reason, the boat sinks, killing everyone aboard except for poor Pi and a tiger who end up together on a lifeboat. Pi must learn to keep the tiger happy and fed to prevent himself from being killed and/or eaten. What a setup!*

What follows is supposed to be a riveting tale of survival, faith, and introspection. Too bad I thought it was total sucking crap. Maybe that's being too harsh. Let me elaborate: 'Life Of Pi' is a young adult book that can't decide whether it's supposed to writing for teens or children. The prose switches from extremely elaborate and verbose to simple and childlike. It seems like this book wouldn't really be able to capture a child's short attention span but neither would it be able to pique the interest of a literary teen. Nor would it be able to entertain a twentysomething reader by the name of Luke out for a good read.

But a little identity crisis is no reason to hate a piece of entertainment. 'District 9' was my favorite movie of '09; 'Bioshock' is one of my favorite games of all time; and I even love the ever-ephemeral David Bowie, crazy chameleon that he is. The real reason I have a bone to pick with 'Life Of Pi' boils down to the fact that it's bad. Just plain bad. The writing is uninspired and bloated; I can't tell you how many times I thought yet another scene of Pi's survival (catching fish, shielding himself from rain, keeping the tiger happy) dragged on way too long, kind of like my posts. I just wanted to shout, 'Okay, I know it's hard being on a lifeboat in the middle of nowhere with a tiger, and now you have to kill a turtle and eat it, boo-hoo. I DON'T CARE! MOVE ALONG!!!' And I actually did shout that quite a few times, which explains all the raised eyebrows and worrisome looks I got from my classmates and co-workers. The point is this book suffers from the same problem Roseanne Barr has has when she steps up to the buffet: it doesn't know when enough is enough. I never, never skim when I'm reading no matter how wordy the writing gets (and that includes the classic writers, like Dostoevsky and Hugo) but in this particular case the writing was so bad and the character so insufferable that I found myself skipping lines, then paragraphs, then entire chapters just so I wouldn't have to spend any more time with this crap. Good God.

And that's another thing, why did Mr. Martel create such an exceedingly annoying character, then tell the story from his perspective, and then make him the only human character for %85 of the book. What the hell was he thinking? Pi's supposed to be this wonderful little boy full of hope and imagination who wants to come closer to God in any way he can, so why did I find him annoying as hell? He never shuts up, he never stops whining, and he never thinks that whatever he's thinking isn't revelatory in some way or another, despite the fact he has nothing of interest to actually say. I wanted to strangle little Pi by page 5 so you can imagine my how murderous I was feeling by the end of this 200-plus crapfest. And the "humor" (make air-quotes with your fingers while reading that) is anything but. I've laughed more at funerals.

And let's get to the final complaint I will lodge against this book: its own damn self-righteousness. See, this book isn't content with just being a young-adult book; it's a life-changing book. Yann Martel is here to blow your mind and your soul, make you question existence and believe in God, make you WONDER and THINK FOR YOURSELF. You can practically see Mr. Martel smiling to himself while he writes this, saying 'Man, this is so original and unique and is going to be one of the greatest books ever. A character who believes in three religions simultaneously? How amazing is that. God, I'm awesome.' Crap almighty Martel, you're not Hemingway or Pynchon, get over yourself. And you're from Canada, no less. Canada! How dare you try to be smart. Go back to your syrup-sucking and moose-mounting. And write a better book.

But apparently I'm in the minority here. This book won all kinds of crap prizes and it came to me highly recommended by my brilliant sibling Kelsi, so maybe I'm just an angry husk of a man who's too far removed from human contact and love to enjoy a simple coming-of-age tale about a boy and his fight for survival against impossible odds. Fine, I'll grant you that. Just as long as I don't have to read that stinking turd 'Life Of Pi' ever again.

*Okay, the one thing this book has going for it is the story. Despite the fact that I rip on it most thoroughly I did think the setting was unique. So you know, there's that.

15 comments:

Kelsen said...

WHAT THE DOUCHE.

"Life of Pi" is a GREAT book, GREAT, and I encourage everyone to refuse to be tainted by the bitter recluse's opinion.

Okay, alrighty whitey, I will concede that it's not your style, Luke. I probably should have taken that into account when I recommended it. EXCUSE ME FOR TRYING TO SHARE JOY WITH YOU.

Luke K. said...

You're not excused. Go to your cave on the mountain for three months and think about what you've done. How dare you tell me what to like! I'm a man!

Kelsen said...

I was being facetious! I don't need you to excuse me! I'm not a child!

AJ said...

1st Kelsen you are only faining Facisim to avoid the cave. We all have that one thing that will make us break(1984 reference) and the cave is yours. 2nd Luke District 9 knew exactly what it was doing. As the main character "transformed" so did the movie.

Luke K. said...

DO NOT CALL ME OUT ON DISTRICT 9 AJ OR I'LL BREAK YOUR SPINE AND DRINK YOUR SOUL!!

And Kelsi, I thought you'd be happy that I finally posted. You're just supposed to smile and nod when I eviscerate your favorite books, because you're a woman and women have brains 1/3 the size of men. It's science.

AJ said...

If you would get a clue about District 9 then I wouldn't have to nail you on you misuses of the film. This and countless other mistakes by countless other people could have easily been avoid if you would have remember the golden interpretation that spilled effervescently off of my silver tongue after we saw the film.
I discussed this phenom yesterday, I'm ahead of the curve and if people would just do as I say when I say they would save themselves 6 months of trouble. 6 months being the general amount of time for individuals to figure out for themselves the course I outlined for them 6 months prior.
And I'm not at all scared of you and your hollow threatenings Luke, you can't even crack a whip!

Kelsen said...

Whatever, I would be able to take a cave fine, and emerge with my sanity intact, UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE WHO POST ON THIS BLOG.

I remember when I read "1984" I sort of enjoyed it, up til the end, and then I felt like I was going to throw up. So maybe "books with sad endings" is the one thing that would make me break (I use "is" because I am saying "books with sad endings" as a singular subject or object, therefore I need to use a singular linking verb, don't question my grammar).

Kelsha said...

First of all Kelsen, good work on explaining your grammar choices

Second of all AJ, please be quiet.

Third of all it's good to hear from you Luke. I have missed your very "unique" view point. I think part of your annoyance may have come from the medication you are more than likely on as a result of said "wisdom teeth holes".

On the other hand I can see how Life of Pi could be annoying to certain audiences. I'm torn. Which is why I love your post. Good work sir.

Kelsen said...

Also, the subjective compliment in that sentence is thing, which is singular, so I am treating "books with sad endings" as a singular object, as well.

AJ said...

Arr, Kelsha if you were worth my time I'd divise some clever come back. Instead I'll write this post to demonstrate my defiance.

Kelsen said...

Maybe I should have said, "The phenomenon that occurs when books have sad endings is my breaking point"? Because then "breaking point" is the subjective complement (with 'phenomenon' being the subject). That way they are both singular. It is still an awkward sentence, but technically grammatically correct.

Luke K. said...

Who cares, proper grammar is for belong to chumps. And from here on out, we'll call it 'gramma', and we'll incorporate it into a rap somehow.

Kelsen said...

Proper grammar is NOT for belong to chumps. Proper grammar is for belong to 'lectuals! And I say, let's cross this Rubicon!

Kelsha said...

I think we should find a happy medium where we incorporate "gramma" into a rap but still maintain our 'lectual' pride.

Luke K. said...

Whateva. Gramma for life.