Thursday, December 24, 2009

a cooked goose for everyone!

Are there other things I should be doing on Christmas Eve other than reviewing this book? Yes. Don't ask.

Now, it is Christmas Eve, and I feel the need to review a classic which I read at least once a year. Thats right. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. If you haven't read it. Please for the sake of yourselves, your families, and all of humanity take an hour and do so. It is not that long and will give even the grumpiest gus the warmest of fuzzys.

My favorite thing about this book is that Scrooge didn't start out as a grumpy old man. He was a happy-go-lucky, young kid once. This story shows us the process he went through to become so mean. My favorite thing about this book is that it is about change and second chances.

Everyone can relate to the idea of wanting to be better, and just wishing they could have that chance. Its so wonderful at the end of the book when Scrooge not only recognizes his need to change but actually does so. How many times have I thought I should be better at something and then not followed through? I prefer not to reflect upon it.

Below is one of my favorite moments from the end of the book for your enjoyment. Merry Christmas everyone!





"I don't know what to do!" cried Scrooge, laughing and crying in the same breath; and making a perfect Laocoön of himself with his stockings. "I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a school-boy. I am as giddy as a drunken man. A merry Christmas to every-body! A happy New Year to all the world! Hallo here! Whoop! Hallo!"

1 comment:

Kelsen said...

I think "A Christmas Carol" is one of two Dickens books I have read. Or maybe I have seen so many adaptations of the story that I only THINK I have read it. Speaking of, Kelsha my friend, did you see the latest version, with Jim Carrey? I heard that it followed the original story very closely. True?