Monday, December 7, 2009

Persuade me onto a new book cause this one's finished!!


So I blew through Persuasion pretty fast!! It was good. The transition from the Hunger Games to Persuasion was a little jolting and on the 4th page of conversations between the main character Anne and her sister or her sister's inlaws where she was the mediator, I almost gave up. But good ole Jane cut it off right at the breaking point, no joke one more line and I would have tossed the book, if she knew exactly how much her readers could take, props to her. I was indeed rewareded for my perserverence. Jane Austin knew what she was talking about! Her descriptions of the feelings and experiences associated with courtship are not only beautifully deliver but dead on, and this evidences that the game has changed little in 200 years. While she seems to follow a formula of main heroine being pretty though not the prettiest and finding her true power in intellect and good sense. The main squeeze man is blinded by pride which results in the book being over 60 pages, while he comes to his senses. And a psociopathic character makes an appearence, whose good manners hide a purely self-serving selfish nature.
Once the foundation was laid the book took off and it truely is amazing that although you know the two lovers will end up together in the end, you're still filled with suspense!
I'm now moving onto the Fountainhead. I turned to my shelf and couldn't decide between The Fountainhead and God Bless you Mr. Rosewater(based on Kelsen's Vonnegut enthusiasim) In the end I felt like the Fountainhead but if I'm not up to it I'll simply reverse my decision.

7 comments:

kenny said...

aj. for reading this book i accuse you of being a girl.

Kelsha said...

Kenny, I forbid you to call AJ a girl until you have read at least one Jane Austen book. After that, you can call him whatever you want.

AJ said...

All I can say Ken is don't knock it till you try it.

kristin brown said...

good luck with the fountainhead. i hate that book.

AJ said...

Thankyou for the luck, but even more thanks for your participation in the blog!!! For taking time away from you other more important ones to grace us with a comment!! As for luck I definatly need it! I walked to class muttering to myself that the commie rat hippies were going to get me and squash all the individuality out of me!! I then decided that reason number 48 why I like snow is that as it is less dense it absorbs sound making the surrounding more quiet. I then added the AJ quote of the day "Yes I love snow, it quiets the world by absorbing the constant wailing of unimaginative people" and I've only been reading the book a few days!!

kenny said...

oh aj, you're comments are wonderful and insightful. kelsha, you are forbidden from telling me to not call aj a girl until you read either one book written by either 1) louis l'amour, 2) william johnstone, or 3) john wayne (i'm sure he's written at least one book about how bad to the bone he is).

Kelsha said...

Kenny, I happen to have read many Louis L'amour books due to my grandpa/dad's obsession with westerns so:

Kenny don't call Aj a girl until you read at least one Jane Austen book. :)