Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Green indeed is the colour of lovers.


Of all the embarrassing gaps in my reading, Shakespeare is probably the most prominent and obvious name on the roster. I have only feasted on two works of the Bard: Othello (which I actually read for pleasure when I was a junior) and Romeo and Juliet (the latter was an assignment for a certain high school English class). I was propelled to read Love’s Labours Lost because we watched a musical based on the play in Theater, and Utah State is going to be having a production of this play in the spring. My interest was sparked.

Quick summary: Love’s Labours Lost is a comedy in which the King of Navarre and three of his men decide to retreat to an academy for three years, to pursue learning and spiritual enlightenment; they have vowed not to see any woman in that time. However, the Princess of France and three of her ladies come to the academy to negotiate on behalf of France, and HIJINKS ENSUE.

Love’s Labors Lost contained many moments of great hilarity. Maybe it was because I had seen most of the musical beforehand, so I had a mental picture of how the scenes were taking place—nevertheless, a lot of the dialogue and even implied physical humor made me chuckle to myself. I have to say, for a crusty Englishman born in the 16th century, Shakespeare has some startlingly astute commentary on relationships and flirtations between men and women. The dialogue between the lords and ladies parallels conversations that can be heard today between amorous young people, albeit the sexual innuendos are wittier.

I have not much to say, besides this has sparked a thirst in me to read more Shakespeare. But! Next up is Jesus the Christ and The Lord of the Rings. Shakespeare will have to wait!

7 comments:

Luke K. said...

Who reads Shakespeare these days? Just watch '10 Things I Hate About You'. It's basically the same thing.

kenny said...

yeah, except heath ledger isn't in the real shrew. man, how did english writing make it without heath ledger?

Kelsen said...

And that, my friends, is life's greatest mystery.

AJ said...

I got an A in my Shakespeare class if we'd all like I could post one of my fabulous papers once a month, you know cut and paste.

AJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kristin brown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.