Saturday, January 16, 2010

We Have a Barter System


Am I too lazy to write separate reviews for every single book I read? Yes, I am. Hence, the Super-Post.

Feminism with Annoying People

First, I read A Doll’s House, a play by Henrik Ibsen. I appreciated the feminist themes set forth by the play, but I felt that the main character, Nora, was unlikeable—maybe intentionally so. But good news! I downloaded it for free-ninety-free onto my Kindle! And it was worth every penny.

Blasphemy? Maybe So

Written by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens is hands-down one of my favorite books of the year. It’s a novel about the Apocalypse, saturated with British humor, in which an angel and a demon on earth both conspire to prevent the end of the world. And it is hilarious.

Being Mean to Foreign People

Kelsha and I both read Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad, about the same time. We should talk about that. It was an interesting, dark story about an ivory trader who goes crazy in the Congo (more or less ish). Apocalypse Now, maybe the weirdest movie on AFI’s top 100 list, was based on this book.

The Game is Afoot!

Spurred on by Guy Ritchie and Robert Downey Jr.’s collective genius, I decided to read a Sherlock Holmes mystery: The Sign of the Four. It was a very enjoyable experience, mostly because I recognized a lot of the quotes and situations in the novel, as they were used in the movie, including, “My mind rebels at stagnation!” Did you know Sherlock Holmes was a coke addict?


I’m working my way through Middlemarch by George Eliot, which is 800 pages long. So give me some time.


Kelsi

2 comments:

Luke K. said...

The only case that interests me is this, the case of the tea nanny. I've been observing her comings and goings, and I find them to be most... sinister.

Kelsen said...

What? Not invited? Why would I not be invited to my own brother's country home, Watson? Now you're not making any sense!