Sunday, January 31, 2010

[Insert Clever Title Here]

(I hate writing titles on these things. Hate hate hate.)

I have approximately 29 more minutes as an 18-year-old, and what better way to spend it than writing a blog post, revealing these two things:

-Unfortunately, I didn’t make my goal of reading 19 additional books before I turned 19. I came up short by four. Darn.

-However, my last read was worth about ten books, so actually I read 25 books before I turned 19, so there you go. I'm not a failure! I can't be a failure!

This latter book is a short, 95-page burst of awesome called Made for Heaven by C.S. Lewis. My lovely roommate Betsy lent it to me, and I devoured it in about a half an hour. BECAUSE IT ROCKS.

It basically talks about man’s quest for heaven and why the active pursuit of attaining eternal paradise shouldn’t be viewed as opportunistic or mercenary. Lewis makes the point that we can never really understand heaven, no matter how close we think we get here on earth—and reading his views on the subject was a truly testimony-building experience.

I don’t know how I can really explain how beautiful this book is. It makes me excited for the afterlife, let me just tell you. C.S. Lewis would have made a great Mormon.

A quote:

“This signature on each soul may be a product of heredity and environment, but that only means that heredity and environment are among the instruments whereby God creates a soul. I am considering not how, but why, He makes each soul unique. If He had no use for all these differences, I do not see why He should have created more souls than one.”

No comments: