Wednesday, February 24, 2010

As a Man Thinketh by James Allen


"Men are anxious to improve their circumstances, but are unwilling to improve themselves; they therefore remain bound."

I went through an experience this week that would have torn me to little pathetic pieces if it had happened even a week ago. Luckily, I was reading this book, and it has helped me tremendously to move forward and be the master of my thoughts instead of letting my thoughts destroy me.

This book figuratively and perhaps literally (I'll have to check) blew my mind. So much so that I read it twice. That is how good this book is. It will take you an hour, maybe an hour and half to read, but it will take you days, weeks, and possibly years to fully comprehend what James Allen is actually saying. Except it really is straight forward. I can't explain, just read it!

Every sentence of this book is quotable, but I will give you a few of my favorites

"The soul attracts that which it secretly harbors, that which it loves, and also that which it fears. It reaches the height of its cherished aspirations. It falls to the level of its unchastened desires - and circumstances are the means by which the soul receives its own."

"Cherish your visions; cherish your ideals; cherish the music that stirs in your heart, the beauty that forms in your mind, the loveliness that drapes your purest thoughts, for out of them will grow delightful conditions, all heavenly environment; of these if you but remain true to them, your world will at last be built."

"The world is your kaleidoscope, and the varying combinations of colours, which at every succeeding moment it presents to you are the exquisitely adjusted pictures of your ever-moving thoughts. So you will be, what you "will" to be. Let failure find its false content, In that poor word "environment,"But spirit scorns it and is free."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful book! You may be interested in Allen's other writings, they're all equally as inspiring! Have a look at http://www.jamesallenlibrary.com

kristin brown said...

i love that little book. when i read it i had to stop underlining because i was underlining every line. :)

Admin said...

I love that book too.

I read it more than once.!!! it's so good. How to explain it with words!