Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ken's exact post but by me. How unimaginative. . .



So this morning I wanted to answer the 3 books question but now I'm glad I didn't so that Ken could look like the original one. I'm always obsessing over orignality so this will be a good exercise in self-control.


Natural 1st: The Scrips, however, even though this is a trend being established I feel I have a unique take. My reasons are governed by the situation. A desert island forever, nothing could keep you occupied longer than the LDS standard works. My main reason, aside from spiritual enlightenment and the other things mentioned of which I agree, is that within the "quad" are the 4 standard works but also the Bible Dictionary and the Topical Guide. The studying possibilities these study aides offer is indespensable for any extended stay in a quiet reflective atmosphere.




The obvious 2nd, and as you'll notice I ripped off Ken's pictures as well, no sense trying to hide the obvious similarities between our choices. In preparing for my desert island adventure I would go out and buy the edition of the Lord of the Rings that comes in one solid volume. Yes, Ken you need not even try and persuade, Jet Warnick had this version, which is how Tolkin envisioned it with the entire work in one solid volume. The reason it was split into 3 is because of WWII, money was scarce and no one would have been able to afford the cost it would require to bind a book that large, they couldn't afford to make it, besides if they had few could have afforded to buy it. Since I have assumed that I have a bit of time to prepare I would take the Silmarillion and glue it to my solid version of Lord of the Rings. My reason for this and taking the Lord of the Rings in the first place is depth. I'm on an island forever, I need the appendicies to keep me busy. And it was my experience that the appendix in The Lord of the Rings is what made me enjoy the Silmarillion because the appendix eludes to the stories that are given more time in the Silmarillion. You need both and glue can make it happen. And if anyone wishes to challenge my glue idea then I'll just counter with, "I have prep time, I'll just take them and have them rebound as one, so suck it" But I think a rule should be established that you can only glue books together if they are linked like these books.


Again like Ken the 3rd is the most difficult. This book How to Make Whips, is my snap decision. My ok you on the floating Library of Congress about to be marooned you can grab three books. I would take this because Ken said there are animals on the island, hopefully some of them are Kangaroos so let's go to town and make some whips. As a snap decision I'll still be considering another choice. But a how to book seems like a great choice because you can use it to be productive and keep yourself occupied. And there are a lot of braiding patterns in this book that I'd never attempt unless I was stranded on an island with nothing but time.



No comments: