Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Three


Well, I must say that this question (which is the most important question anyone will ever have to answer in their life) has caused me a considerable amount of angst in its contemplation. I'm still not entirely sure on my number choice, but here is the result of my thinking and pondering:

Obviously if I was going to be stuck on some desert island where survival was not an extremely precarious affair and I could afford a single luxury of reading material, I would want the Scriptures. It's not just that they're essential to conversion and salvation (although a knowledge of those topics and Spirit-prompted reminders of their importance) that I would take them with me, but also because I love the presentation of the various stories, parables, and platitudes. It's an emotional journey reading them as well as an intellectual exercise. You think about thinks that you should think about a lot more when you read the Scriptures, and if I had only one book to take with me for a
permanent exile, I'd want the book who's study would insure both spiritual growth and intellectual development.

And now let's get down to the superfluous luxuries. While I doubt I can convince everyone to allow me to escape with the complete works of J.R.R. Tolkien as a single book candidate for taking with me to some exotic destination (we all know that the Hobbit cannot really be considered an essential portion of the Lord of the Rings, just like we really can't consider the Silmarillion an essential volume to that wonderful series [not because of a destitution of quality, but a more comprehensive subject matter]), I can make the undeniable case that you can't deny me the three volumes considered as a whole the Lord of the Rings, which J.R.R. Tolkien did intend to be published as a single book. So there. I get to spend decades specializing in Christian theology and then reading an allegory of Christian theology.

....
....
....
....

OK! I ADMIT IT! I CAN'T COME UP WITH A THIRD BOOK THAT I'M CONTENT TO READ FOR THE REMAINDER OF ETERNITY IN ADDITION TO THESE WONDERFUL VOLUMES!

this is odd. i've spent a lot of time thinking about what i would want with me, and i can't come up with anything. i want either the preeminent philosopher's tract, political-economical piece, or public policy/political volume. i'll post my thinking on the third when it becomes apparent.

1 comment:

Kelsen said...

The only thing I have to say about this post is the fact that you also put pictures on the opposite sides of each other makes my previous efforts look less impressive. THANKS A LOT.